[Openpvrsgx-devgroup] Status & HW to bring

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Sat Nov 9 18:09:23 CET 2019

Hi,

> Am 09.11.2019 um 17:42 schrieb Tony Lindgren <tony at atomide.com>:
>
> Hi,
>
> * H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> [191109 13:17]:
>> 5. reshape the driver to be able to submit it into drivers/staging/pvr mainline
>
> According to Sebastian this is unlikely to happen though, so
> adding Sebastian to Cc.

Fine!

> See also the docs for "DRM Open-Source Userspace Requirements":
>
> https://dri.freedesktop.org/docs/drm/gpu/drm-uapi.html
>
> AFAIK the pvr-drv driver needs to go directly to drivers/gpu/drm/pvr
> instead.

Well, moving the code around is not a big deal :)

"staging" is more a placeholder to get it into mainline in any shape that
is acceptable so that we get more visibility and can use the kernel.org
infrastructure which will be critical for project growth.

> Sebastian, care to clarify what you have picked up on this
> recently?
>
> Basically what I understand is that at this point we just need
> to make the current drivers/staging/pvr/pvr-drv.[ch] and related
> rewritten components into a standalone 2d accelerated driver for
> drivers/gpu/drm/pvr :)

I am open to anything, as long as it works :)

BTW: I am preparing to separate our work into even more patch sets
(feature branches) but which should have a better logical structure:

letux/omap-sysc-prm-gfx		- all lowest level gear almost arrived in linux-next
letux/omap-pvr-soc-glue		- bindings and DTS additions for gpu in SOC
letux/staging-pvr		- this is where Kconfig, umbrella Makefile and your new pvr-drv resides
				  and where clean code should appear
letux/pvrsrvkm-1.9		- old omap3+4 DDK (most likely not DRM)
letux/pvrsrvkm-1.10		- some DDK which was said to support omap4+omap5 (most likely not DRM)
letux/pvrsrvkm-1.14		- DDK we are working on - for am335x and dra7 (user-space can be patched to omap5)
letux/pvrsrvkm-1.17		- DDK version may support am3352, am4376, dra7, am654
letux/pvr-demo			- user-space scripts for debugging and gpu-demo

All this can be merged together with linus/master (well, all branches are rebased on it)
to give the complete letux-pvr branch.

The first two patch sets will become empty over time and can be omitted as soon as
all these things are upstream.

There is room for adding more patch sets, e.g. the Ingenic DDK1.14 variant or the
TI 1.15 I have found. And I have recently seen some Poulsbo project variant on github.

The idea behind is to pile up everything we can find first, but in a strict format. So
that we have it in one place for studying and doing comparisons. And then we can merge
and shrink and rework to a single driver in letux/staging-pvr (or however it will be called).

BR,
Nikolaus