[Openpvrsgx-devgroup] ***UNCHECKED*** YAML bindings...

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Mon Nov 11 16:31:58 CET 2019

Hi Adam,

> Am 11.11.2019 um 14:00 schrieb Adam Ford <aford173 at gmail.com>:
>
> On Sun, Nov 3, 2019 at 10:28 AM H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>> I have started to rewrite the bindings to YAML format as
>> requested by Rob Herring, but I am stuck a little.
>
> Are you still stuck?

Mainly because I didn't find time to proceed :)

Rob Herring has sent me some valuable pointers to dependencies.
The first thing taken for granted is that "pip3" is already
installed... So there are even more dependencies than people
think of.

Anyways, I was able to install it through macports.

And then he mentions a libyaml. This seems to be a Python lib
and I initially thought from all messages and descriptions that I
need a C libyaml and wondered why it still is not found after
installing one.

> I installed the tools to check YAML bindings, and
> I used it to push some bindings for a different device I did.
> If so, I can try to help with that.  I'd hate to see us not get stuff
> upstream because of documentation.

And because of completely new dependencies for a development
environment.

I still wonder why YAML and Python was chosen. The DTC is standalone
inside the Linux tree and can be compiled and made useable just with
just gcc (any perhaps yacc/bison/flex) like the kernel itself.

Even a dedicated schema language would have been fine for me if it
would be plug&play and an easy to write language :)

Well, enough complaints. We won't change that.

>  I am out of town Wed-Sunday this week, so my availability this week
> will be sparse.

No problem. I also won't find much time before end of this week.

BR and thanks,
Nikolaus