[Openpvrsgx-devgroup] ***UNCHECKED*** Re: editing the wiki / am3517 support

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Wed Nov 20 20:27:13 CET 2019

Hi Jeroen,

> Am 20.11.2019 um 20:07 schrieb Jeroen Hofstee <jeroen at myspectrum.nl>:
>
> Hello Nikolaus,
>
> On 11/20/19 9:32 AM, H. Nikolaus Schaller wrote:
>>> Am 19.11.2019 um 21:11 schrieb Jeroen Hofstee <jeroen at myspectrum.nl>:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Interesting project, personally I would be interested if this has
>>> even a slight chance of working on an am3517. And if so, how..
>> We all hope so :)
>>
>> Basically it seems as if the am3517 has the same sgx530 inside as
>> the dm3730.
>
> yes, there is a sgx530 in there.
>
>>> If I recall correctly the old releases used the FBDEV, but here
>>> the goal seems to add a DRM driver.
>> Yes, DRM is more future proof.
>

> And for my understanding, does the hw-accelerated driver work in
> conjunction with the omap dss or will it serve as a replacement?

It uses the DRM infrastructure to request a memory area which
the DRM variant of omapdss sends to the display hardware.

So it works with any panel setup.

>>> Are there userland binaries available for that or does that only
>>> depend on the linux driver for which the code is available?
>> Basically it is the DDK 1.10 driver and userland.
>>
>> The latest kernel driver of this project allows to choose between
>> several DDK versions.
>>
>> DDK 1.10 compiles and can be started (at least on OMAP3) but then
>> the driver does not find any displays. Maybe because I have no longer
>> enabled the fbdev subsystem.
>>
>> Unfortunately the DDK+UM 1.14 can also start but simply reports a
>> memory mapping error where we have no clue yet where it comes
>> from.
>
> The latest officially tested / released version seems to be
> "Based on the IMG Linux 1.9 DDK (1.9ED2188537).". It seems
> am317 is still included in later version though.
>
> So what would be a wise thing to do, undust some old ti kernel
> and try to understand how it used to work?

Well, using an old kernel may help to get a specific version running.

We still have a 3.12 kernel for the DM3730 in our archives where the
DDK 1.9 or 1.10 works.

But our goal is to achieve something better...

With the right persistence and a lot of luck we may analyse the bugs
and what happens and find a more modern solution for all omap3.

>>> Anyway, so I have some googling to do, the wiki pages seems
>>> not to be editable, but it would be nice if I can write down my
>>> findings.
>> Yes, that is very welcome. I think a table / matrix of links to
>> all user-space packages and status would also be very heplful.
>>
>>> Is it possible to allow the github account jhofstee to edit the
>>> wiki pages?
>> It should be possible. I have checked my account and I seem to
>> have admin rights.
>>
>> There is a ckeckbox:
>>
>> "Restrict editing to users in teams with push access only
>> Public wikis will still be readable by everyone."
>>
>> So this would mean that you need push access. But I do not
>> really know how to enable this.
>

> If you don't want all git users to be able to edit the wiki you need
> Settings -> Collaborators and teams

Well, I know there are more users there than me since Philipp (@embed-3d)
created the @openpvrsgx-devgroup organization and did all the setup.
I was just invited to participate as the fifth or sixth member.

Yes, I seem to have admin rights but do not exactly know for what and
there are no collaborators and there is no team...

So maybe Philipp can manage this?

> and optional Settings -> Branches to protect the ones you really
> care about.
>
> Also please consider setting the default branch to letux-pvrsrvkm.

Good idea. Done.

BR and thanks,
Nikolaus