[Openpvrsgx-devgroup] trying to get SGX 1.14 running on DM3730 (SGX530)

H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at goldelico.com
Thu Nov 21 17:39:15 CET 2019

> Am 21.11.2019 um 17:14 schrieb H. Nikolaus Schaller <hns at goldelico.com>:
>

> The interesting question is now how to proceed.
>
> We have several options:
> a) hack the kernel to return "tilcdc" for "omapdrm"
> b) hack libdrm as above (and fix the strdup leak)
> c) patch binary libsrv_um.so
> d) someone rewrites libsrv_um.so from scratch as open source and we get the display identification algorithm right
> e) try ti437x binaries on omap3

Well, I forgot another option that was discussed often in the community:

f) beg IMG/PowerVR and/or TI/Intel/Allwinner/Ingenic to open source the user-space code for PVR/SGX5

IMHO it would help them more than they have to loose. Especially as I think the patents used in the SGX5 series
aren't much worth nowadays. The releases are between 2005 and 2010 [1].

But they still seem to have a "no direct support" policy:

https://forums.imgtec.com/t/where-can-i-get-opencl-driver-for-sgx544mp1/3112
https://forums.imgtec.com/t/request-for-document-for-integrating-powervr-sgx543-graphics-ddk-for-android/2011
https://forums.imgtec.com/t/sgx545-driver-issues/1809/2

BR,